America’s gradual decline into kakistocracy (government by the most incompetent) continues. Our national security teeters atop the Washington Monument waiting for our man-child President to lose his temper. Corporations are persons, and people are disposable commodities existing only to fill the coffers of the wealthy and influential. Our children graduate from college deep in debt with evaporating career opportunities. And our headlong rush to destroy the environment continues in spite of a Himalayan pile of evidence from experts.
The Age of Facts is dead. We now live in the Age of Unenlightenment. Nowhere is this more apparent than the clinical insanity of our gun culture. There was a time when the events in Las Vegas might have been a tipping point for reason and common sense. But the hundreds of victims of Stephen Paddock’s arsenal will soon be forgotten, along with the children of Sandy Hook and thousands of other victims of our slavish dependence on firearms.
So, I offer no facts. Facts make no difference to Second Amendment fanatics. I only offer moral observations based on my personal ethics.
- Only one reason exists to own an automatic rifle – the desire to kill masses of people as quickly as possible. Possession of such a weapon is sufficient evidence of mental illness and a criminal danger to society.
- Any politician who denies the American people the right to open hearings on gun control legislation is a whore of the NRA and should be impeached.
- Anyone profiting from stock sales of Sturm Ruger or Smith and Wesson in recent days represents the most vile and soulless human attributes. I pray that you somehow acquire a heart to fill the current cavern in your chest.
- Wayne LaPierre does more to damage this nation and its people than Edward Snowden ever will. His religious mantra of entitlement and sacrificing the blood of innocents on the altar of violence violates any sane interpretation of the writings of our Founders.
- The media is complicit in America’s institutionalized racism and xenophobia. By refusing to call these murders terrorism, the media feeds the agenda of white supremacists, Christian extremists, and anti-immigrant radicals. Mass murder is by definition an act of terrorism, whether it is committed by a young, brown-skinned Muslim or an elderly, well-off white man.
The time is long overdue to take to the streets and bring an end to this madness. We must hold the gun lobbyists and their puppet politicians responsible.