“Abomination” is not a word one hears often in everyday conversation. I imagine that most people hear the word rarely during their lifetime.
Sadly, however, there is one group who uses this word obsessively in one particular context. Especially with the news stories about marriage equality and nondiscrimination laws, we have heard far too much use of this word in recent months.
- With the most advanced medical system in the history of humanity, it is an abomination that some still fight against efforts to provide people in need with basic medical insurance.
- When the wealthy get every financial advantage society can offer, it is an abomination that hard-working and honest people who need assistance are vilified and stereotyped as lazy.
- It is an abomination that our military veterans suffer staggering rates of suicide and mental illness and that they must often wait months to receive medical treatment.
- The selective misquoting of founders like Jefferson and Adams by so-called patriots to promote narrow-mindedness, bigotry and selfishness is an abomination.
- The perversion of a religion of love and inclusion to persecute others is an abomination.
- Capital punishment by any means is an abomination.
- The ongoing treatment of women as second class citizens in the workplace and as objects for the sexual gratification of men in general is an abomination.
- Assigning any validity to the irrational opinions of those who deny overwhelming scientific evidence for climate change, evolution, contraception and the nature of sexual orientation and gender identity is an abomination.
- That anyone thinks unfettered access to weapons of mass killing is in the best interests of this society is an abomination.